What are we here for? What are you here for? What do you blog for? Do you share your style? Your recipes? Things that make you smile? Are you out there to make others smile? Or do you just write for yourself? I get it, this is a blog, my blog, and I should write what I want, when I want, about what I want. And I do. I don't apologise anymore for who I am. And I never will. I don't think you should either.
But seriously, blogs are about self expression. But if we wanted to just write for ourselves we'd write in a diary... we want attention. Everyone wants to be heard. I know I do. I want to make a difference. Do you? I want to brighten someone's day, or make them think... I want to matter to someone. Anyone. Coz sometimes it feels like I don't.
I want to make someone feel special. I comment back to all of you because I want you to feel like you matter. Because you do. You're all a part of my story. And my story hasn't been going the way I wanted. I fucking hate this town and I miss my Dad more than anything in the world. Nothing I do, or write, is going to bring him back. This eats at me sometimes, and other times it's ok... but it's always there.
If I could write one thing and have everyone take notice it would be this;
You matter. Each person is so special and sometimes, with all this technology and constant insight into others lives we forget that. I don't want you to forget that. Don't compare yourself to others; it's not healthy. Run your own race. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it; there will always be someone willing to give it. It is never too late to start fulfilling your true potential... Just believe in yourself. Live life, live it to the fullest, because you never know when it will be over. And share your knowledge, help others out, there is no point keeping your secret recipe, or favourite band, or awesome way to style your hair, to yourself. Because once your gone, what is left? What you left behind; be it memory, or knowledge, or feeling. Strive to be the best person you know; don't let others take advantage of your kindness or your ability, but don't be too hesitant to give forgiveness to those who truly seek it. Oh, and you are beautiful. Seriously, I don't know anyone that is quite like you, you are one of a kind. :)
I know I rambled on, but what would you write? Tell me in a comment, create your own post and link me up, email me. I want to know. Because right now I need some hope, hope that I'm not the only one feeling this way, hoping I'm not the only one who cares.
Listening to: 'Angela Baker and My Obsession With Fire' by Senses Fail.
16 comments:
I love this post, Ebony.
I think everything you said is spot on.
I started blogging mostly due to the fact that I didn't have a niche in my world. It started with finding a "fashion niche" because no one I know in my town cared about clothes the way I do. Slowly though...it turned into writing about my life and trying to share the pieces of it that I was passionate about. Because it's not like there are people in my real world who want to hear me talk about my day and my sincere thoughts about it. It's SO true- I want to be heard. I want someone to care. I care about every single blogger out there- including you- and like you said, all of the bloggers have become a part of my story.
We all want to leave our mark. We all want to feel cared about.
Thank you, Ebony.
I care too.
Love,
maggie:)
This is so beautiful. I couldn't stop reading every single word you wrote. I agree with exactly what you've stated. Wowee, there's so much, where to begin? I shall start from the very top!
I agree we blog for self expressions, life & loves and we do want attention. We want positive feedback from our friends we make through out blogging world. It's like we all relate hence we all blog of course. That one connection that links us all into one another lives!
I wish everyone could think like this - more positive & wise. If only we could all be kind to one another things would be SO much easier. So I guess it's basically said that we should just concentrate on those who are kind & care.
I love your bold paragraph - of course the one you wanted everyone to read the most.
"Don't compare yourself to others; it's not healthy. Run your own race. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it; there will always be someone willing to give it. It is never too late to start fulfilling your true potential... Just believe in yourself. Live life, live it to the fullest, because you never know when it will be over. "
I agree, just be yourself & run your own race (perfectly said darl!) and people need to stop trying to be something they're not but to just be themselves. I wrote on my recent post to is to make the most of everything because we only live once. Just be happy & believe.
Yes! Share your talents with others, your knowledge etc. But hopefully those who take or use your knowledge will give you recognition in return - which isn't much to ask for. And yes stop apologising for being who you are - I need to stop doing that too! :)
I have written up 1/2 a list of places for you to visit & also for another girl that's also from Perth too! As requested kindly! I can't wait to email it both to you! (just been a tad busy with packing for Melb & all it's been hectic! But nevertheless) I will send it to you pronto so when you hit Perth you can start exploring!
I'm so happy you posted about this, it's so special! All your words are pure bliss! I hope it reaches out to many more people! We both only want whats best for everyone and I think that's such a brave thing to say. These days everything is so negative. Peace will come our way.
Ah, I've rambled on also! You just inspired moi!
Hope your weekend has been lovely & not too cold! :)
xx
- J
Ebs this is a wonderful post. I do think that sometimes people are too shy or scared to write about what they feel or want. I get that, but I don't ever think that people should feel restricted. Nobody is perfect, we all feel something. We need to express something, that is why we have these blogs. I was actually thinking about this the other day, I want to get rid of my "Schedule" on my blog because it makes me feel restricted. I am so glad that you did this post Ebs.
On another note, I am so sorry that you miss your family so much, your dad misses you too. Hell, I haven't officially met you and I miss you! ;) I am so glad that you bought tickets back to Taz, and that you are going to start up at UNI soon. It is just time that you have to battle now.
I miss you Ebs and I hope that you keep me updated on how you feel, okays? :)
XOXOXOXOXO
~Sara
I don't feel awake or eloquent enough to reply properly to this but I just wanted to briefly say that it was a wonderful post. There seems to be so much angst and self questioning within the blogosphere - people unsure about where they fit in within the various blog genres, or what they should be writing about. It's lovely to read something as unapologetic, confident and heartfelt as this.
Me? I started my blog with the idea that it would talk vaguely about fashion but it quickly developed into me wittering on about whatever I want. If it's a topic people aren't interested in then I don't mind (sure, I do like getting comments but they aren't the be all and end all) - I don't want to restrict my online personality to a smidgen of my normal personality.
I definitely needed this post today! Thank you!
I am one of those who keeps a diary AND a blog. And the odd thing is- they rarely overlap. I blog about some things, and I write in my journal about some things.
I'm with you- I blog for the hope that someone will notice.
Thank you, again, because your post made me smile!
I absolutely loved this post Ebony. Thanks for that. I love writing and being inspired, and inspiring others. I love meeting other bloggers, like yourself, and reading about their lives. I like being encouraged and encouraging! You are such a gem...hope you have a great weekend. x
:)
that was beautiful.
Ebony, the key is perseverence. Keep practicing the art, skill and technique of being yourself, of expressing yourself and after a while it will be just like second nature. What works for an artist or an athlete works exactly the same for every person in every endeavor. Keep practicing it.
You obviously have a head start on most your age. You are practicing it and as a result you suffer the same as an athlete suffers who is trying to get to the next level. You come across people who think you are idealistically silly or delusional or 'too young to realize...'. Those people are the ones who either didn't practice or gave up. So it's no wonder they look at those who are still working on it with fear and disdain. You are an affront to them. You are showing them the truth that they gave up and the don't want to see that so they fight back.
Keep on your path. You are now and will become more of an amazing person in the world.
Gosh, I love this post. I want to print this post out and frame it on my wall and read it before I head out for the day, every day.
I feel like this is something you should say to the people who matter most to you in this world... and it makes me realize I'm in a great place because I'm finally saying it to myself... instead of wishing someone who never did say things this important to me would finally speak up.
I'm sorry you miss your dad. That's just an awful feeling, I'm sure. But you have what a lot of people don't have out there- an insight into who you are, and enough balls to live it out.
I don't even know you "for real" and I'm proud. ; )
Sending hugs all the way to Australia-
Katie
I really like this post. You are so right.
I constantly feel pressured and that my blog isn't good enough(hence why I haven't posted in forever). I needed this to realize that I should just express myself and not worry about how I compare to others.
You are so wise.
i love this post. you really express people and how they feel. youre an amazing writer
would love you to visit Passport Glamour & follow if you like
Anna Katrina
http://passportglamour.blogspot.com/
enter my giveaway!
Ohh lovey this is the most wonderful post. I imagine you're right there reassuring every one of us - because I know for a fact every one must feel insecure and in need of a hug once in a while. I certainly do.
You're spot on with your encouragement for people to write about whatever they want - it's astounding the number of blogs who regurgitate the same old images, ideas and references... blogs like yours inspire me so much more!
Love always ♥ Claire @ Jazzpad
I needed to read this, today more than any other day, I needed to see this.
Know that YOU matter and whilst I doubt I am the only one you helped, know that you DID help, at least just one person.
Thank you <3
Honey, don't feel alone out there. You have a wonderful community on here. Whether you interact with them physically or not, support is support.
I can offer 2 pieces of advice.
1. This too shall pass. It's something that my Mum always says and it is true, true, true. However crappy or stagnant or crazy making something feels it will always pass. Just think of where you were 6 months ago. Where will you be 6 months from now?
2. Write lists. Write lists about what you want your life to be like. The type of people you want to be friends with. The kind of things you would like in your new house. Getting it all down on paper makes it feel so much more real. And look at those lists, is there anything you can do right now? I know what it feels like to feel as though your life is just going on without you really living it but know that every single day you can change that. Tomorrow, tonight, next week.
Hang in there girl. It's just a moment. You're going to look back and be so proud of yourself for getting through it all.
I know exactly how you feel. I've gone through moments where I've had to stop and wonder if anyone really cares about me. This is the first year where I can say I have a best friend. (I've always had a hard time getting close to people.) And I've realized...I really like being alone. I don't want to be alone for ever, and I know I won't be. I'm still young and for now, I'm content with just having my one best friend and a hundred books.
You'll get through this. And you're definitely not alone.
THis post motivated me a bunch. I think i might do something similar in my blog. i wonder what i would say. im not sure though, there are so many things that i want to get out.
Oh and you listen to the most wonderful music. I think we should swap a mixed cd. yes!
Post a Comment
Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox