Tuesday, January 19, 2010

We came, we baked.

On Friday afternoon I got Afternoon Tea in the mail! I don't think I had ever baked anything from scratch in my life but on Saturday afternoon, Jazz & I thought we would give it a go... We picked out two recipes that looked easy enough & had to go to the shops and buy everything for them!


Unfortunately we didn't really get process photos. We were too busy laughing at powder flying everywhere & marvelling that things were going quite smoothly..  Here are the finished products at breakfast the next day :) YUM!

Some things we learnt...
1. You can pretty much substitute 1oz for a tablespoon if you don't have scales :)
2. Wait for the cupcakes to cool a little before icing them if you want a textured effect. Although I do like the look of ours.
3. Do not go overboard with the food colouring. Obviously we made the slice first and then realised that. I seriously used one drop for the yellow cupcakes & look how yellow turned out! How can I use any less?


So all's well that ends well. We learned some valuable lessons & didn't do too badly. This book is super simple & soso cute! You can buy one here for only $20au!

8 comments:

Sara said...

OMG LOOKS SO YUMMY! lol good tips too, I never really used food coloring, so I will have to keep this in mind.

Amanda said...

Those look so tasty! I absolutely love baking...and then eating!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Aww, I love baking and haven't tried anything new in a while! Maybe I'll try this!

Maggii said...

NOM NOM NOM!!!!

E said...

i just discovered your blog and I love it!! its so refreshing and just soo pretty! :)

heyfancypants.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Mmm looks yum :).
Lovely blog btw x.

Sweets and Hearts said...

hey, i LIKE brightly colored desserts! food coloring all the way! :)

they came out bright&fun looking. wish i could eat some!!!

<3

Kat said...

Hi - I just found your blog via Selective Potential. I love finding new aussie bloggers. I really want this baking book but my cookbook shelf is overflowing already.

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox