Monday, January 25, 2010

Third Time Lucky


Australia Day is this Tuesday, so Saturday called for some baking. I was very excited to attempt Anzac Biccies after my first success.


David & I went to the shops and got all the ingredients stated. We had this great idea that we would use the butter pictured instead of real butter, as it had a quarter of the fat :)


The recipe also said to use teaspoon amounts of mixture... "Teaspoons? Nah we need 'em bigger than that!" so this is the size when they went into the oven. Such high hopes on my face :p


We were on top of it. Washed all the dishes and were eagerly awaiting the 15 minutes baking time to be up. "Cook until lightly golden, this will ensure doughy rather than hard" But when the buzzer dinged they were such a light colour we thought we'd pop them in for another 5...


What came out of the oven was an anzac slice. Once it cooled down it was a rock solid anzac slice. This was David's face upon trying said slice. HAHAHA.


After the first two attempts, we finally gave in and used real butter. Woahlaa! They were perfect. If you'd like the recipe feel free to ask and I will send it to you.

What I learned:
1. Always follow the instructions in regards to sizing.
2. Keep in mind that your cooking may harden/set/darken after being taken out of the oven.
3. Sometimes when baking, you just can't choose low fat options.

I am very new to the baking scene but I use the book Afternoon Tea which can be purchased for under $20 here. I highly recommend it.

7 comments:

Madeline Veenstra said...

That's so cute you bake together! They look so yummy :)

Unknown said...

Yay For Frankie and afternoon Tea:) There's no susch thing as light* when it comes to baking. I've tried this out before to and failed miserably! You've inspired me to get into the kitchen this afternoon!

_ffyona said...

The joy of baking together, already sound yummy let alone eating it! I am glad you had great time baking away!

You inspired me to try baking. I have been putting it off.

Sara said...

lol the pictures are so fun! I will definatly need to try baking more. I know what you mean about following the receipe. I have had many a disaster by not following the receipe.

Sweets and Hearts said...

oooo they came out really well, it looks like! i think i'll check that book out. i don't bake from scratch that often, but i want to to learn how.

are you going to try more recipes from the book? i hope so! i'd like to see more. :)

i really like the way you edited your photos here!

<3

Aya Smith said...

You guys look adorable! And those cookies are waay too inviting, haha :))

♥ Aya strawberrykoi.blogspot.com

Yelena said...

how exciting!
these photos are so cute!:)

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox