Sunday, October 24, 2010

What I Love About: Me

This past week has been a great one in terms of self confidence. I'm looking at my blog post about how I fat I felt and realising how stupid I sound, already! It's been less than a month. I don't think I would have bounced back as well as I did without the kind words of my blogging friends. And the attitudes they have towards their bodies. Living in a small town it's easy to get caught up on what everyone else is doing and eating and posting on their facebooks. But a lot of the time it's all one big front. Which is why I love blogging. None of us are here to impress each other. Or compete. We're here to SUPPORT each other. I can't imagine taking the time to comment on someone's blog putting them down; it hasn't even crossed my mind. Yet in real life I am constantly having to let bitchy comments roll off my back, fending them off with a chuckle or a calm face. Frankly, I'm sick of it. There is far too much negativity in the world and I don't want to put up with it anymore. So this is going to be a bit of a habit for me. Rambling about what I love. Starting with myself.



Sometimes I can come across as a bit full on I think; I talk a lot, but that doesn't mean I don't listen. Sometimes my friendly banter can hurt feelings, but I'm getting better at apologising when my intentions have been mistaken. Sometimes I'm a bit of a perfectionist; mainly and mostly on myself. Sometimes I'm a complete brat, and a bitch, and a terrible girlfriend because I overreact and flip out at stupid things; but I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong a little quicker every time.

I'm strong. I've overcome a lot. I don't spend time feeling sorry for myself as much as I once did. I don't judge people by their appearance. I don't waste my breath on those that do, me. I give second, third and fourth chances when they're asked for. I have a unique smile with my little teeth and children canine teeth (I don't have adult replacements up there! lol). I'm proud of my complexion, no matter how many people ask me why I'm so pale. (I know! It happens at least twice a year.. we're talking shopping assistants etc. *sigh*) I chose our kitties out, and they are perfect. I'm awesome at Donkey Kong video games. I have a great bum. I now eat olives and mushrooms and drink some wines because I've become much more open-minded. I'm the first person to go and talk to the person alone at the party. I will never smoke. I learn quickly. I love strongly. I sing loudly. I am me and think my Dad would be proud of the person I am and will be. I got noticed by David, even though he was 6 years older and I had no idea anything would ever happen and now I have this wonderful boyfriend who describes me as those 6 words on the left near my picture. I am going to be an excellent mum one day. That's why I love me.

What do you love about you?

21 comments:

l said...

this is a really beautiful post :) x

stephanieesstar said...

I love reading posts like this! It's always so easy to point out the negative things that really bother us about ourselves! I know I do it more than I'd like! But I agree that this blogging community is here to support one another and inspire! You seem to be such a sweet person and I wish we could meet!!

Oh, and I'm so excited that your boy is coming home soon! Hang in there, girl!

Bee. said...

This post was so uplifting Ebony! I think a lot of the time us girls in particular can give ourselves such a hard time and in turn forget to celebrate who we are and where we've come from. What do I love about me? No matter how much negative/horrible stuff I've been through I've got through it and become a much stronger person.

eleanor said...

I loved reading this, Ebony!
I can identify with a lot of what you are saying. I love that the blogging community is so supportive - I don't think I've ever felt more confident than since I started blogging. I think it's a growing up thing too, but it has something to do with my followers, comments and all the friends I've made through my blog.

Oh, and the pale thing! Throughout high school I despised my pale skin, because 90% of my peers were naturally tan (the other 10% were fake and orange! Bahah!) But I've learned to love my complexion. It annoys me when people point it out, "You're so pale!" Um, yeah, I know - but we won't have gross, orange peel skin when we're older! Hehe :) It isn't that healthy to be tan - we are the healthy ones!

X

Alex said...

Ah Ebs, this sort of post is why I love you. I so admire your strength and the fact that you appreciate yourself so truly. I struggle with it - always have done, probably always will do. I like to think I'm a kind person though.

Ps - as a fellow pale girl, I can confidently say that we rule. Who wants a tan anyway?

Kenziefaith said...

I love love love this post!

KF x

Amber Schmidt said...

This was an incredible post. Why is it so hard to see the wonderful things in ourselves that everyone else sees?

And how's the packing for the move coming along? ;)

Unknown said...

This is such a wonderful post. It's so great to see you appreciating these things about yourself, because you seem like such a lovely lady! No one should ever feel bad about themselves, which is why this post is just so great :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic post - in fact, you made my afternoon!

Small towns can be painful at times, and they seem to encourage bitchiness and nasty gossip; as time goes by, you will learn a little more every day how to combat it and let it roll straight off your back. One day you will be able to immediately laugh and put the idiots in their place!

You have stunning skin and it is good you are proud of it :)

Anonymous said...

I've only just discovered your blog and I love it! Its refreshing to see someone proud of who they are and so honest about it - you have a right to be. Sometimes it can be hard to appreciate who you are and what you have, but there's no greater secret to living a fulfilling life than being comfortable with the person you are.

Also, pale is so much better than tan!

Sara said...

Ebs real quick- that last post? You and the kitties??!!! SO CUTE!!! <3

Okay, I have to say that I agree with you 100%. People are human, we are sometimes bitchy and whatnot without catching it right away but as long as we acknowledge it in the end, it's okay. I honestly cannot wait for you guys to move. You need to be around people who care about you and treat you with respect.

I love that you did this post, everyone should have things that they love about them, that they are proud of. I am proud to be pale too! lol :) Ebs you are an awesome girl, and this post just shows that you are a very smart adult woman :)

a little black cloud in a dress said...

this is a fabulous post. I love the shape of your eyes. They are so pretty. They look like almonds. :]

Unknown said...

Did you feel better having written this? :) There are loads of reasons why you're so great, and I'm glad you recognise them enough to share with us all. "I have a great bum" haha I love your honesty! :D I find it quite tricky to be so complimentary about myself. Not sure if it's the curse of a self-deprecating Brit but I like my arms, my feet and my eyes if we're going down the physical route. And though people who are close enough to me think I'm crazy for putting up with it, I'm ridiculously quick to say yes to helping everyone out and taking every opportunity, to the point where I burn out my energy levels! It's fun though! :) I am very much looking forward to this uber-positive approach from you lovely! jazzy ♥

Unknown said...

PS Sorry I've not been around much lately, I've just got back in the country and uni has been MANIC, but I am thinking of you! :)

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Aw Ebs! What a great idea for a post. And good on you for putting you first. You should love you. You're great.
I'm super psyched about our Christmas swap and have already found a couple of little things to pop in the package :)

alabee said...

Thanks for this post, you made me want to love myself!

it's kalin, darling. x said...

I really love this. I know that must have been hard. Because when it comes to complimenting myself, I like to draw the attention to something else. But you are beautiful and I absolutely adore reading your lovely blogs. :) x


kalinmichellexo.blogspot.com

Caitlin said...

i love reading our blog! seriously! i click on eb on my address bar and your blog comes up straight away cause im always on it(stalker sounding yes ha ha)
anyway havent spoke to you in agggges! but i feel i have through your blog LOL

xx

Zabrinah said...

You are going to be an excellent mom! I love this confidence-post. Very inspiring for your readers!

I love when we look back at our low confidence moments and realize how silly we sounded!

Best wishes,

~Zabrinah

m. said...

ebony.
thank you.

i think one of the hardest things to do, is look at yourself and see what you like, and nothing else.
and i think this is really beautiful because of that.

your determination to see the best and be strong is so motivating.
you are wonderful.
xo

Jennifer said...

I absolute adore this photo of you - you look so natural & gorgeous as always! Did I ever tell you I envy your eyes?! omg they are amazing - such a unique blue colour too! :D

The one thing I've always LOVED about your blog & why it's my favourite is how honest you are - I seriously feel inspired by that & of course how awesome you are anyway! But yes - I love how you said that although you make a few mistakes or hurt someone etc you're man enough to admit it - I think someone how can admit something like that is so REAL! And that's so good - you don't get many people like that these days!

What I love about me is if I say something I always try my best to act up to it & I think that's what my family/friends/boyf etc love about me. I come across as always trying to be myself & accept that I'm not perfect but to just love who I am. I've made mistake & learn from it - I think that's always the best way to become a better person is to make your mistake & learn from them.

Wowee this post has really got me thinking - thanks eb! Your a real eye opener and so inspiring!

Hearts, x

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox