Saturday, October 9, 2010

Personal Touches

I love this house. It's changed so much since I first stepped into it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this would become my home, and David my guy. But that's exactly what happened, so quickly that sometimes I think we rushed into things... but like he says, if we hadn't rushed, we wouldn't be here. And I like here. It is my home.


Although I don't blog here anymore, I still love this space. I recently took down everything I had up and printed some of my scrap booking, and by recently I mean a few months ago. I'm very excited to try and find a big second-hand desk when we get to Perth for my craft room. I've told David I want a sewing machine for Christmas, but I have no idea which one I want.. so I think it's more a save and ponder item :p


I just love the way these photos came out, have I ever told you how hard it is to get photos of the kitties? I mean, I have a hundred gooduns, but probably a thousand outtakes. With the beeping of my SLR, it's a bit easy to grab their attention - I just need a faster lens. Another save and ponder :)


More photos in the kitchen. Nothing says 'home' to me more than fridge filled with family photos and fun magnets. Our first photo together, shots from Tasmania and Rottnest, takeaway menus and casino chip magnets from Las Vegas are some of our more notable additions. I still have a bunch of Garden State badges I want to convert into magnets... that can be my first (easy-peasy) project when we move in. It was the movie we watched the first night I came over to hang out... I watched most of it on the floor because I didn't know how close to get to this foreign older boy.


I just love love the colour scheme in the bathroom; green, brown and tan. I thought I was a genius for thinking it up, but later realised my beautician had the same set up in the room I get my eyebrows waxed in.. I must have remembered without remembering where I remembered. Ha. Regardless, I love to splash paint around and this is a prime example :) I like it.


Our movie collection is pretty neat. When I moved in we only had 2 doubles; Juno and The Butterfly Effect. The latter I brought over to watch that fated first night.. weird huh? It's not even that we have THAT different taste in movies (besides his fondness of Underworld like movies and Will Ferrell vs my obsession with Musicals and bad chick flicks *cough* Hilary Duff *cough*)... we just, I dunno completed each other. He owned the Matrix Trilogy, I had The Lord Of The Rings movies. He had Adam Sandler classic Mr Deeds, whereas I brought 50 First Dates to the table. Match made in heaven? Most likely.


This is the view from where I eat my breakfast and often, lunch, on the floor in the lounge. We have a dining table, I just like sitting cross legged. And love being close to the kitties :)


The ribbon and mini pegs used in this bunting-style photo display are from the marvellous Miss Tillie. I love photos more than anything... I also love colourful eclecticity (yep, that's now a word, you know what I mean). Nothing is better than displaying memories.


Ok, I lied. The only thing I love more than our photo displays in this house is this painting. It looks like a 5 year old could have done it, but it was the first piece of art David and I did together. Again, just paint splashed around on a canvas... but it hangs above our head when we sleep and reminds me of a time when things were simpler. Sometimes I think we both forget how in love we are... small towns play tricks with your minds I'm sure... but last night was a good night and I'm determined to make this weekend a memorable one :) Hopefully off to the gorges tomorrow!

15 comments:

eleanor said...

I loved reading this, Ebony! It sounds like you two have made such a lovely home together! (And the bit about your bathroom colour scheme made me laugh! Haha!)

Morne and I's first 'date' involved him coming over to my house one Saturday night to watch The Breakfast Club. Hehe. Now we watch a dvd together practically every Saturday night :)

X

Anonymous said...

i loved reading this too! your blog is such a 'happy place'!

And your blog posts are always so inspiring, especially the things you write, loved the bit about "The only thing I love more than our photo displays in this house is this painting. It looks like a 5 year old could have done it, but it was the first piece of art David and I did together. Again, just paint splashed around on a canvas... but it hangs above our head when we sleep and reminds me of a time when things were simpler.".

So sweet :>

Your Only Black Swan said...

you place is wonderful!! you must be so happy to share something like "a home" with your partner... my family's dvd collection looks very similar hahaha

that cat post looks epic!!


youronlyblackswan.blogspot.com

x Your Only Blackswan

Bee. said...

Your place looks so nice (: I bet it's lovely living with your boyfriend! I shall soon find out - moving in next year, eek!

maggeygrace said...

I soooooooooooooooooo soooooooooooooooooooooo wish I lived in a house with my guy! I don't think now is the time or place for that, but a few years down the road, maybe a shoebox? hehe. I LOVE HILARY DUFF ROMCOM's! Hehe :) Your house sounds lovelllyy and I'm so excited for you Ebs:)

Katie, thisloveblog.com said...

Ebony- you're so darn cute. And your post makes me excited for a time when I'll be living with Dave. Hopefully sooner than later! :)

Much love!

Sofie said...

You have such a lovingly home! I loved reading this post <3
^^

xx Sophie

Amber said...

These photos are so cute, your home looks lovely. I have lived in my home for almost two years now and still find myself pondering new decorating ideas..its just so much fun

Tillie said...

yay im so glad that the bunting has made its way into your house hehe. you have used it in such a cute little way! Your house is adorable. xx

Unknown said...

Ebony I am so happy you've got this wonderful home! When things are blue - this is where you can find solace (and I won't like, I am a teensy bit jealous that you've managed to score a place with your man, one day I hope to do the same, one day!) jazzy ♥

Anonymous said...

this is such a lovely home!
hope you can come visit my blog and support too!
xx

http://sheplayedwithsnakes.blogspot.com

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous little home with us! It feels just like an extension of your blog which is lovely :)
Not long now until you get to move and decorate a new one.
I hope you had a fantastic weekend honey. Are you getting any of this rain?

Katy said...

ok. first, i may have choked on a giggle when i read the part about your bathroom. so funny. i love/hate realizing those similarities in familiar places... but it's usually pretty humbling too. you've got a great outlook on, um, so many things!
i use my mom's old singer sewing machine, the old metal ones are sturdy as anything, the newer ones are nice because they have computers in them that allow you to do all sorts of stitches/buttonholes/what have you.
so... it sort of depends on the projects you've got in mind!!
(in summary, loved the post, and don't drop an old sewing machine on your foot. learned that the hard way!)

Alex said...

What an absolutely lovely post. I always end up with a smile on my face when I read about your life. Love what you've done to the house - you must be excited about getting your hands on the new place!

Ooh and the artwork is beautiful too. You're so creative missy!

Sara said...

Ebs! Your place is so sweet! lol I sit on the floor all the time too :)

I know that your new house with David will be just as cute, I really like that handprint painting, it looks sweet.

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox