Saturday, February 13, 2010

Rottnest Recap :)


There are no cars on Rottnest Island - instead everyone bicycles or buses everywhere. We're on holiday (and that gives us permission to be lazy) so we opted for the latter. Here's us waiting at the bus stop :)


These little animals are called Quokkas. They live exclusively on Rottnest Island. In fact, one stowed away on a boat last week and was only allowed back onthe island because the skipper realised before the little guy hopped ashore in Perth. They. are. adorable.


The closest boat is the one we stayed on for the week, but you can hire out the little chalets that are all over the island as well. This place is 'Longreach Bay' and it's my favourite spot to anchor up; the shower blocks nearby are amazing and there's a little cafe only 5 minutes walk away.


Pretty much my favourite thing about staying on the boat is catching squid in the dingy and cooking it up then and there. I don't go near those tentacle bits though; just not my cup of tea :)


"What do you mean I lost? I got the highest score!" Haha, I suck majorly at putt putt golf but I look pretty darn proud in this shot.. I probably got the hole in par!


The sunsets are always amazing at Rotto. A warm milo and a pack of cards are all you need for a good night :)


We use the dingy to get to and from the shore (and the toilet block), here's David jumping back on after pushing us out. I love my skipper boyfriend.


My first time snorkelling here! I had a really hard time getting my breathing right because it was so rough but I had time to pose for a photo taken with our new underwater camera.


The next day we moved to 'Parker Point' which has some amazing reef, unfortunately I developed a (heat? beach? allergic reaction?) rash on my arms and legs this day and didn't wanna risk making it worse by getting in the water...


David and his dad cleaning their catch. Look at how clear that water is!


Cheeky Mr Pelican offered to clean up the scraps so we let him have some... It amazes me they can fit it down their skinny neck!


My rash hadn't gone away yet so we trekked up to the bathrooms to see if a shower would do me any good. It didn't but it was a nice view from the top!


David took a snorkel the morning we were leaving, I was just so keen to get back to the mainland and see the doctors (my rash had gotten ALOT worse on my left leg, it was radiating so much heat despite the fact I had stayed out of the sun for two days)... Soo glad we bought this camera so I could have a look too!


So although I left with flippers that were too small (thanks sales lady!) and massive irritation to my arms and legs, I had an awesome time here. I definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of travelling to Perth - you can even make a day trip of it! (they have ferries running every hour and their bakery is a must see.)  It's a shame the beach doesn't seem to agree with me but it's worth being able to spend time away with this guy right here :)

18 comments:

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

What great photos! That squid looks yummy!!

Elaine said...

I loved looking at your photos!!! It looks like you two had a great holiday. I love the one of you snorkeling underwater! I love it.

clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Madeline Veenstra said...

That place looks so unbelievably beautiful :) The water, the cute animal...so pretty! I'm sorry to hear that you were sick, how annoying!

Also I've added your blog to wikifashion, you can have a look at my blog for more info :) We also have some badges for people to use on their blogs. They are V-day inspired :)

Madeline Veenstra said...

I think I told you that already! Sorry :)

Sara said...

OMG!! Perth sounds like soo much fun :) I definitely want to go there now! Sorry to hear about the rash and the too small flip flops. Very bug bummer. However the pictures are amazing and I love that hat on you, very cute!

PS I wish I could steal one of those Quokkas, sooo cute :)

Maggii said...

omg i is so jelous an under water camera wow bring it down to tassie!

Amanda said...

Wow! It looks amazing and glad you had a good time :]
Now I want to visit Australia even more!!

Charis said...

It looks like you had a great holiday, catching up with friends, karaoke & the most beautiful beach holiday... I'm jealous!

Kyla said...

Wow that looks gorgeous. And you two definitely got some amazing pictures!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I have never liked rottnest, but this seems like a lot of fun! The water is just beautiful, though, isn't it?
And Aussie squid is tops :)
Yay for Perth girls :)

Just found your blog through Much Love, and I totally love it!
I'll be following you from now on :)
Please have a look at my blog, and spread the word if you like it :)
thislittleblogbelongstome.blogspot.com
Norah xx

katie hanson said...

i never made it to perth when i went to australia, and now i'm really sad about that! i did see quokkas in the sydney zoo, though, and they are tooo cute!

Sweets and Hearts said...

ohh those quokkas are so cute! they kind of look like squirrels hehe.

wow, snorkeling over there must've been really nice! you got a lot of beautiful pictures of the ocean. lucky you! looks like a wonderful holiday. :)

<3

Anonymous said...

WOW - this place looks absolutely breath taking - you lucky girl!

Yep, the fun thing is, I get to work my ass off full time AND study woo :P It'll be fine, I've done it before, I can do it again :)

What are you going to study at Uni next year? x

Sara said...

Hey Ebony! I am following you on weardrobe, I might actually stope neglecting it now lol.

How has your week been? :)

E said...

wow cool place! i love your photos! this is like the perfect summer holiday! :)

heyfancypants.blogspot.com

MYCLOSETGARDEN said...

This looks like so much fun and what a cute hat!! Your pics are gorgeous!

inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

Kate Moore said...

I can't get the breathing right for snorkelling either. I just seem to suck in water. I need to just be snorkel free. I use the googles and always want to dive really deep for a closer look.

Emily said...

Gorgeous photos! And that animal is the cutest! I didn't know they existed. :)

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox