Last night I went to this party to farewell some people that have changed my life, even if they don't realise it. Everyone was having fun drinking & dancing, there was even a hose involved before it finally ended in a walk home in the rain..
But there was one 'moment' that really stood out for me. Tom (who is leaving *sniff*) told me that I had that I was a beautiful girl & was wasting my time at the computer shop doing accounts. "Wasting my talent" were the words used. "Was thinking about you the other day & how creative you are" also came up :) I told him that my dream was to work in public relations or journalism, he was adamant about me going into graphic design.. After a long discussion about the fact I can't really draw; just manipulate media, & something about left & right sides of the brain, (as I said, we were having a lot of fun drinking & dancing, which makes for some blurred images) I was feeling pretty special.
Now, I don't know if you need a portfolio or something, I never took an art class after year 10 & I never took the time to look at other options at Uni - I always figured I would go into writing or PR. But having someone who has spent half an hour of his farewell party, tell you that your stuff is good & you must pursue it, makes one wonder. It is a dream of mine to work in magazine layouts, I just never really told anyone because I didn't think I was arty enough to succeed. I don't know. I just know that I will miss seeing Tom around. Playing netball with Sal. Attempting basketball with Alison. Having Alex out there on the touch field. I hate saying goodbye.

Btw, I knocked up that invite for them at work. The groovy fonts are from here. What do you think of it? Honestly?


1 comment:
Hey, there! Just wanted to tell you that if this is what you want to do, just do it. I went to school for film and since have done a lot graphic design work and am completely self taught. If you have the opportunity to go to school for it, go. If not, just get a program and start playing around. It'll happen!
Post a Comment
Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox