Today I discovered this amazing blog (I'm going to live vicariously through Heather since I'm lacking in funds and the freedom to go wild) and I realised something...
Most of my lurkdom blogs write short concise and witty sentences. I think it's something I'd like to be able to do. Articulate myself on the internet so I come across as funny. Or clever. Or both (dream big!) So there's a goal for 2011, it being a new year and all. I'm going to cut down on the enormously long sentences that just seem to go on for forever and forever, normally containing a lot of brackets and ending in a completely different point to where they started. (haha!) I meant to do that one. Honest.
Do you have a lurkdom? Blogs where you read every post but never comment. You're either too intimidated or feel like they receive so many comments yours wouldn't get noticed. Maybe you used to leave comments and never received any in return. But you'd secretly like to be their best friend. No, me neither.
16 comments:
I love your writing! And reading your long bracket-filled sentences :) And I do this allll the time. "Lurk" but not comment because how will they notice my comment out of 100 or so of them? Hmph!
Dude I lurk all the time, mainly because I read blogs on my iphone (it's impossible to comment), and don't take my computer home from work (trying to cut the internet frenzy out of my life a bit). See there, there is nothing wrong with bracketing, or the way you write!
I can defo relate to this!! I have a few of my fave blogs that Ive followed for ages and wish they would comment back, but can understand when you have thousands of followers thats impossible! but a girl can dream, lol.
Your writing style is great, I find it easy to read because it's kinda written like your talking, its more personal, if that makes sence? :)
x x
I think you sound both clever and funny! I say keep up the good work. :o)
I tend to lurk on the blogs that are written by v. clever/witty women as I always feel a bit thick compared to them when I comment. And yes, sometimes on the ones when people have hoardes of followers unless I have something more in depth to comment on, cos a couple of generic sentences in amongst 100+ comments probably isn't going to be read!
But anyway, you are clever AND funny. And I happen to like the bracket filled sentences. I use them all the flipping time so I'm in no position to criticise anyone else for using them!
ps - I don't think Frankie gets stocked over in the UK. You're the second person to have mentioned that I might like it though so I'll have to investigate and see if I can track down a place that sells it. Let me know if you're having problems finding a copy of Oh Comely - I can always pop a copy in the post to you :)
Yeah, totally get what you mean, I blog lurk the 'popular' blogs, I don't bother leaving comments among the 100's of others, still it kind of means I can just enjoy it for what it is, and leave again.
Still, I like connecting with like-minded people through blogs, and enjoy when they write candidly about themselves and their life, which is exactly what you do!
I can so relate. I ramble on and on and on and on and...well you get the idea!
And I'm also a big lurker! With just about every blog I read. My problem is that I genuinely think something and when I type it out it sounds generic and the same as everyone's comments. I just wish I could articulate better! lol
xo! Ash
Hi Ebony! I've been reading your blog for a few months, but no comment until now!
I totally know what you mean about the blog lurking, I think that with most of the blogs I read I am guilty of lurking, generally for the reasons you outlined! Sometimes I also feel like I don't know how to 'introduce myself', if that makes sense, and transition to becoming a regular commenter..the whole thing's too daunting!
Anyway, I very much enjoy reading your blog, I think your writing-style has alot of personality to it, which I think is one of the most importanct tools in blogging, so don't worry!
Laura :)
I saw your comment on Tieka's blog on the Guy-Behind-The-Camera post and it made me smile! Thank you SO much for all your support and help along the way- you were one of my blogger pals from the very beginning and I just had to let you know how much it meant to me :) Thank you!
I know what you mean! I'm a crazy typer too and I feel like most people don't read it either. :/ But hey, I like reading your posts! I don't always comment! Hahaha. But whether it's the "I don't feel noticed" part or "I'm too lazy to type," I don't know really. :P
♥ But do what you want with your blog, girl! It's YOUR blog, no one else. :)
lol I really loved this post. I try sometimes to be a little "witty" what I write, but then I also have posts with a ridiculous amount of typos. I also have to regard my content, it's mostly really light, and random. So where does witty fit in? When it comes naturally i guess.
Dude I lurk all the time. Mostly the bigger blogs because I am too lazy to write a response. :P
I totally lurk! I am like Jessy above. I mostly lurk the really popular blogs. I like to comment on blogs where I know that those people really appreciate the comments. All those big popular blogs get 100s of comments a day but the smaller blogs might not get any and it always brightens my day when I log in and see someone has commented so it feels nice to do that for someone else too.
Ah I love that picture! Hehe.
I was a lurker. Then a commenter. Now I've turned back into a lurker.
Since becoming a real life "writer" (I don't know why I needed to put that in inverted commas), I'm finding it a little harder to write sporadically. You know, the gems you sometimes come up with in a comment? Yeah, those.
I lurk like no other! And I love your blog, no need to try to be witty, just be yourself! [Rambling RULES!]
PS I am loving the layout updates!
xx
Elizabeth
Hmm, when I read this originally I had heaps to say then forgot...now I'm back... yep, I ramble but ya know that all ready ;)
I love the way you write please don't change! I lurk mostly when I'm reading via my phone, otherwise I comment, I know how much it means to me when people comment.
PS. Your eyebrows look great, probably hard to get used too though!
I lurk on blogs/forums all the time, - I just find it really intimidating trying to work out what to say / how to introduce myself!
Am de-lurking now to say I love your blog - don't change a thing!
Post a Comment
Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox