Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sepe's Chicken Pumpkin Risotto


This recipe can be made without the salami and chicken if that’s not your thing ;) We’ve also made it without pumpkin, and I personally think it’s just as yummy. It also refrigerates brilliantly - we always take this for our lunch the next day.

What You Will Need:
350g Chicken
1x Butternut Pumpkin
2x Capsicum
1x Eggplant or zuchinni (or both!)
1x Salami Sausage
1x Large onion or equivalent
1x Can of chopped/diced tomatoes
1x 1 litre Vegetable/Chicken Stock
2x Cups of Aborio Rice
Garlic Paste & Chilli Paste
Grated Cheese
White Wine & Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Oven and Stove ;)
Chopping Board or 2
A good sharp knife for the pumpkin
Pot and lid
Frying Pan
Wooden Spoon
Glass Baking Tray
Oven mit
Paper Towel
A little patience

What You Do:


1. Cut your pumpkin up into pieces about the size of a thumbnail. The most important thing is to make them as even as possible so they all cook at the same rate kwim? Place them in a glass baking tray.

2. Drizzle with olive oil (you don’t have to cover all of it), sprinkle with salt and pepper (yep, all of it) and dollop 5-6 small amounts of garlic evenly oh this orange
goodness.


3. Put in the oven on 200 degrees Celsius until it’s soft all the way through - you can check this with a simple butter knife; it needs to slice very easily. (For our oven it takes approximately 50 minutes.)


4. Cut up all your veges into little squares (the capsicum just needs to be in small strips) and chop your onion finely :)

5. Turn the stove on medium and place your pot on it. This is where you prepare your liquid... throw in 1 litre (4 cups) of Chicken/Vegetable stock. 1 can of chopped/diced tomatoe.s, a generous
splash of white wine (let’s say 200ml) and a bit of hot water (we just use a little to get the rest of the tomato out of the can, and tip it in)


6. Heat the fry pan up and add a little oil when hot. Now it’s time to start cooking your vegetables! Fry each type separately; leaving the onion until last. Add a little salt and pepper as you go.


7. After you’ve cooked the onion, leave it in the pan and add your rice and enough oil so that it’s coated when stirred. (Just add gradually). Add chilli to taste (we use a couple of tablespoons.)


8. Stir it through for a couple of minutes and then add it to your liquid pot, with the lid on and turn it to high.


9. Cut the salami sausage into small squares and cook in the frying pan. You’ll notice A LOT of oil, we soak this up with paper towel.

10. Cut chicken into small pieces and fry it up with a bit of salt and pepper.

11. Check the liquid; you want it to be boiling at this point. Switch all the heat off on the stove and time approximately 18 minutes. This should be long enough for the rice to soak up the majority of the liquid. Give it a quick stir half way through, making sure it’s not sticking to the bottom.

12. After 18 minutes you need to check the consistency - you want it to be a little liquidy, but not what you could describe as runny.

13. Chuck all your goodies in (don’t forget the pumpkin that’s in the oven) and mix through. It’s nice to keep the pumpkin in tact for full flavour hits!

14. Last step is to add the cheese, just a couple (so let’s say 5) small amounts spread evenly and mix.


If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, if you could use any extra pics in certain places, more explanation etc let me know. I wanna make these recipes as easy to follow as possible :) Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy your risotto!

10 comments:

Alex said...

That looks utterly delicious! I'm a very boring risotto maker so I'm definitely going to give this a go - seems like the perfect thing to help expand my repertoire.

beewaits said...

This looks delicious! I love risotto but I'm def a cook-it-all-in-one-pot kind of girl! I wish I had the patience to pull off something like this!

Claire
xo

www.beewaits.blogspot.com

Sara said...

Oh that looks YUMMY! I think you did a great job explaining everything Ebs, I cannot wait to try this, I will have to find a market that is currently selling some of this, it might have to wait until fall though. It looks so good!I can already tell that Kyle will like it, he loves anything with meat, and you have got chicken, and salami in there! num num num!

Miss you & love you!

XOXOXOXOXOXO X3!
~Sara

eleanor said...

Mm, I love risotto, especially pumpkin risotto! I love the way you did the post :)

X

PS. We will definitely have to meet up in Auckland one day! That would be so much fun!!

Unknown said...

Wow lovely! That looks wicked, very nom nom nom :) So glad you posted up the recipe, now I can copy it on the other side of the world :D I'll let you know how it goes! PS Thanks so much for your help re blog, I'm so happy with the way it's turned out! ♥ Claire @ Jazzpad

Allana said...

Oh scrummy, thanks Ebony will definately be giving this a try! :)

Maggii said...

haha ebs u use the same pepper as we du xD i i think i should try that out :3

Kyla said...

wow. that looks awesome!

QuiteQuaint said...

this look delish
i love risotto but im alwasy too scared to cook it incase it goes too gloopy x

Jennifer said...

This sounds so yummy!! I want to cook that now, I've made pumpkin risotto before but I want to try out your recipe! Thanks for that yummmm om nom ! xx missed reading your blog darling! hope you got my DM's on twitter about places to visit in Perth! xx

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox