Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Black and White.

"Don’t be too fat, or too fit or too dark or too white, don’t be too sexual or too chased, or too smart or too dumb, be yourself, but make sure you fit in." - Anna, One Tree Hill

Yesterday a Maori girl on my rugby team said "sorry but you're reeeeeally pale". I answered "Don't be sorry, and I know." *smile* She didn't mean anything by it but really, is this the 50s? Why would anyone even point that out? Haha. I was a little proud of how much I've matured in that sense, 5 years ago that would have made me cringe and make some self-depricating comment. It's what makes me, me.

5 comments:

eleanor said...

You don't know how many times I've had back handed comments about my pale-ness.. ugh. Not lately, but pretty much all throughout high school! I don't mind at all, though. I'm happy with my skin!

PS. When we are older, we will still have amazing skin - while the tanners have skin like orange peel, muahaha ;)

Unknown said...

Oh I'm pretty pale during winter, and I fake tan in the summer (not yucky orange, just gradual tan moisturizer) But I'm fine with being pale, I just add a little tan to even my skin tone out (my pale looks a bit blotchy) lol. I think fair skin is soo pretty (in Japan it is considered to be a sign of beauty). I LOVE how you responded! :D
x x

apparentlyjessy said...

Some people don't think before they open their mouth. Others don't think at all!
I am quite pale too, but I like it, and I like to know my skin wont wrinkle prematurely from too much Aussie sunshine!

Alex said...

It is bizarre that she felt the need to point that out, isn't it? I don't understand some people.

Penpals would be great! D'you want to email me your address?

Anonymous said...

I used to be bothered by the things people said to me about being pale. But I've come to love myself and my skin. It's such a shallow thing to have occupy my mind.

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox