Monday, December 20, 2010

Top pavlova tips.

I had an amazing weekend. I spent some time with my mumma, for the first time in... I have no idea it's been that long. We had fish& chips for lunch in Vic Park, watched The Runaways, grocery shopped and made pavlova :)

Neither of us had ever attempted it before. The first batch of egg whites and sugar didn't even make it to the tray and oven stage, but the second was perfect despite following the recipe to a tee both times. The difference? Googling the secrets to pavlova (I keep typing pavolva. lol)...


1. Make sure the eggs are room temperature.
2. Clean and dry all your equipment prior to starting to ensure there is ZERO oil on anything.
3. Use half a lemon and cover the bowl and beaters in the juice.
4. Once the timer dings, turn the oven off and let it cool completely. Don't open the door until that time.

I shall be making this for Christmas Day since I'm in charge of desserts. I just love pavlova. But not near as much as I love hanging with my mum :)

18 comments:

thegirlhassparke said...

Yummy! Brendan is the King of pavlova's he always makes them when were in charge of dessert.

eleanor said...

I adore pavlova too! Yours look delicious. We make two every Christmas, and a couple throughout the year for good measure! I love it - even though it feels like your arm is going to drop off after all the whisking. The no water/oil thing and not opening the oven door until the very end are definitely crucial :)

Alex said...

Oh meringue is a tricky thing isn't it? Your second effort looks scrummy though - perfect for a big occasion like Christmas!

How lovely that you had some time with your mum as well :)

How are you settling into the new place? Hope it's all going well for you and you have an amazing time over Christmas.

xxxx

Anonymous said...

I have a fail proof recipe for pavlova if you're interested. You just chuck in the ingredients, wizz it up and chuck it in the oven - works every time!!

Rachel, Cold Knees said...

That looks utterly delicious, Pavlova is such a great dessert. It's great you got to spend some time with your mum too. Mine is going off to live in France for half a year, so I need to get in lots of mum time too! xx

Amber said...

wow thats quite a stunning dessert. i have never had pavlova but it looks good

Kat said...

yummy! that looks delicious. I want to make pavlova for Christmas day but we are driving 1 hour out to Corey's parents house and I don't think it will hold up for that drive especially in our summer heat.

Sara said...

That looks yummy ebs!! I am sure it will be a hit for your party!! :)

XOXOXOX

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you had such a lovely time with your mamma :) I dearly miss mine when I'm away from home, there's nothing like a bit of mother/daughter quality lovin' :) This pavlova was successful then? It certainly looks delicious! I'll have to steal your recipe and give it a shot... I distinctly remember trying to make merringue years ago at school... I was so proud of it in all its baked glory I named it "Merringueda" like a sweeter version of Miranda... and then a mere hour later I had dropped it on the stairs of the Geography block upside down! Nooooo! Lol! A little insight into my clumsy school life there! :) Hope you're all ready for Christmas lovie! jazzy ♥

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

I'm too afraid to attempt pavlova. Yours looks awesome! Nice work lady.

Oh! Your package arrived. Woo woo! It arrived earlier this week but I've been so flat out finishing up work stuff that I didn't get a chance to say thank you.

THANK YOU!

I'm keeping it in it's packet so when I do open it on Christmas day, I get double the wrapping ;)

Yours are all wrapped inside too if you want to take them out of the, ever so classy, white padded bag.

Now, I know you probably don't want people to comment on the above post. That's why you've disabled comments. But I have this to say and then I'm done -

This is a moment. It too will pass. No matter how shitty. It will pass.

x

stephanieesstar said...

That looks so pretty!!! I'm glad you got to spend time with your mom! I hope you have a very merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

That. Looks. So. Freakin'. Good.

Madeline Veenstra said...

I just read your post above and wanted to wish you a merry christmas! You most certainly are not failing. Every time I read your blog it never fails to cheer me up, you and your bf seem to have built a lovely life together :)

I can completely understand about the centrelink thing, my bf had his own business the entire time (still does) I was at uni (5 years) had I told them that, I would not have been able to afford to go. That is just so ridiculous to me. I really hope you can figure something out with them, perhaps see one of their social workers?

Merry christmas lovely, I hope you have a gorgeous day and feel better soon xo

apparentlyjessy said...

I'm not into pavolva that much, but I have to say yours looks so delicious I may have to reconsider! Merry Christmas to you and your family Ebony! <3

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

i've never heard of pavolva before, but i'm very tempted to try it out now. looks delicious!

maggeygrace said...

Nom nom nom! Yummmmy! Did you like the Runaways??

Nikki | The Ginger Diaries said...

yum yum! that looks freakin good! x

Unknown said...

I am yet to taste any of your amazing baking delights, Eb. I look forward to doing that at some point :D

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox