Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's called a break up because it's broken.

Well then. Yes the title means the worst and best (and mainly worse) thing imaginable has happened. Craig and I have broken up. I say worst because it hurts my heart, I spend a lot of my down time drinking and it could have been well avoidable. I say best because, well, I don't want to seem like a complete fucking emo. That and now I really have a chance to find myself.

My name is Ebony and I like tea. Without sugar. Sometimes honey. Always soy milk. I even add soy milk in black teas that don't necessarily need it. And I'm talking a lot of milk. Mmmm milky tea.

Apart from that I really have no idea who I am. I haven't been single since I was 16 years old. Not for a day. Okay, maybe my relationship status on Facebook (or myspace back then) reflected that I wasn't connected to anybody, but that's never been the case. I have always had someone else's thoughts in mind. Someone else's feelings to consider. Someone to care for and share with and fall asleep thinking about. It was cosy. And I haven't really regretted any of it. I've learned alot along the way....

When I was 13 I learned that I had a power. And was easily pressured into doing grown-up things. I wanted to prove myself. I was starting to become attractive to boys; with my big forehead, red hair and gangly legs. I wasn't able to make up my mind and I often didn't have to; stringing along more than one at a time with the promise of a french kiss and maybe a little more. I grew up way too fast.

I cheated on nearly every boyfriend I had in highschool; I think it all stemmed from my first. I was in grade 1 and he was the year above. He was a tall lad with quite strong arms; he pushed my friend and me on the swingset at camp all afternoon so naturally he became my beau. We were all sleeping in a hall; boys on one side and girls on the other... but we were attached by the fact he was wearing my maroon scrunchie on his wrist while he slept. Yep. It was love. Haha. Fast forward to the morning camp finished (which may or may not have been the next day, I don't remember) and instead of manning up and telling him it wasn't going to work out, I let it get back to him by telling my swing friend that I only had a crush on one boy. And it wasn't our resident pusher. *sigh*

My teen years were a blur of boys and boyfriends and I didn't really like living at home very much. I starting playing touch football and fighting with my year 12 boyfriend, badly. Cue David. He was the first older guy I'd ever been with. And we moved in together almost instantly. Not just because of the first sentence in this paragraph. I truly believed I loved him. But I wasn't ready. And I knew this at the time. But I did as I thought was normal when you care about someone. You give them what they want. They're were amazing days, weeks, months. But there was some fucking hard times too. My Dad committed suicide and things were never the same after that. They couldn't be. I couldn't be. But for so long I put off getting help. I was broken and so my relationship could be nothing but in the end.

Breaking up with Craig is still too fresh to go into details, it still stings to think about it. I'm sitting in the room we shared for months and I'm still getting used to the idea that I have to move out. That part is hard. I feel like I put everything into this relationship that I could at the start and I just burnt out. Money. Career decisions. I sacrificed everything because I was deeper in love than I'd ever been. We used to joke about couples fighting; we decided we were perfect. When really we were too stubborn and stupid and too proud to admit we needed to talk. Needed to vent. Needed to be honest with one another. We took it for granted and in the past week it got to the point where there was nothing left to fight for except the butterflies. I dunno, I think I'm just rambling emotionally now.

In short; breakups suck. I don't really want to move in with my parents and be a kid again but maybe that's exactly what I need. Me-time. Selfish time. Family time. Friend time. Time to find myself. I think I also need space too, alone. So the hunt is on. And the worms are out of the can. I'm not all smiles and energy. I'm strong because I'm scared. But I'm going to be ok. I have to be. Sink or swim :)

10 comments:

char said...

aww ebony, i know how this feels. i broke up with my man yesterday, so still in that "raw" stage, but i know it's going to be tough. really tough, not to go back to him as i have done so many times before over the past 5yrs :(

Allana said...

Oh Eb :( I want to reach in here and give you the hugest hug. I'm so sorry for your broken heart. I hope you can heal and become a stronger person because of it. It's only now, with the problems in my own marriage than I can acknowledge that each person needs to enter the relationship whole and complete, none of this he completes me bs. When we are whole we can be beside each other and go out into the world together not as one. Now i'm dribbling sorry lol. Let me know you're forwarding addy when you get settled and I'll send you a big old care package xxxxx

Linda said...

Welp, that sucks. I forgot I was following you. Just know you are cute as shit and maybe you need to be alone for a bit. Date yourself and make things about you. Take care of yourself, it's important.

Anonymous said...

poor girl! i hope things get better for you soon! do take care of yourself too <3

Shannon said...

Hi Ebony. It's potentially creepy that I'm commenting here since you don't know me (but hey, you commented on my blog once, so there), but I just wanted you to know that it's okay. I've been in situations like yours for years and am just now pulling myself together. Yeah, it sucks like heck for a while, especially when you're trying to figure yourself out after all the crap you've been through and put yourself through, but you *will* get over it. And you will come out on top. And these things that hurt you make you who you are, but they don't control you. You'll look back on all this some day and be glad you came through alright, and you'll look at what you have and thank the stars you were strong enough to be open to change. I'm pulling for you. Hang in there.

summertime dreams said...

Hugs hun. I just went through a break up too. No fun that's for sure. And I so know where you're coming from about not being single since you were 16. I am the exact same. But you're right, you are strong, and you will be ok.
If you ever want to talk, give me an add on FB. I found your blog many moons ago from Chloe's, and I'm in her friends list. IRL I'm called Mona :)
Take care my dear.

Volume Two said...

Ebony, I feel like stumbled upon your blog at just the right time. It's been a long while since i stopped my old blog but I missed your lvely face and your lovely stories. You always made me smile so so so much darling and I hope that this horrible dark time turns into something that you will learn from, and that you will smile again very soon.

Sink or swim... I know you will swim beauty x

Sara said...

Ebs you truly have been through a lot and it is hard to take it all in and make a fresh start. But I know that you are strong. You are stronger than most women I know that are a lot older than you. You recognize what is wrong and you are working on it. I think moving in with your parents for awhile might be good, feel like a little kid for a bit! Watch cartoons, talk to friends late at night on the phone and eat ice cream. Treat yourself to the things you need, comfort, You need it and you deserve it.

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Oh honey. I'm so sorry to hear you're hurting. You're a smart woman. Everything you said about taking the time to figure yourself out and have time devoted just to you and your friends and your milky soy tea is spot on. The break up and the missing really sucks. But all that other stuff is going to be wonderful.

I'm thinking of you x

Ashley said...

I'm sorry that you're in so much pain. It's part of growing and learning and now you do have a chance to find yourself. Travel, spend more time with family, and don't jump into something just cause you want someone there. From stumbling upon this blog I see that you're such a brave, strong woman and I hope you find that in yourself x

Post a Comment

Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox