
Ok yes, I'm definitely ready to get out now. Counting the days.
Weekend was a meh one. Had my first ever garage sale with Bec on her awesome front patio. Made an adequate amount of money and learned a bit about what I'd do differently next time. Was feeling pretty crummy all day but tried to keep a brave face. I don't have any more photos because although we were ready way ahead of schedule... the prospective buyers decided to pop along then too.
First of all; people don't buy cupcakes. It might have been because it was freaking boiling out so a) we couldn't have them on display all the time or b) who feels like buying sticky when it's hot?
Second of all; people aren't gonna buy what you think they will; people love junk. Actual junk. I had pretty dresses hung on a rack - some of them barely worn and all over them worth over $50, for cheap. But instead people bought my crappy miscellaneous jewellery bags because they were cheaper still. Go figure.
Thirdly; I'm a heck of a haggler myself. I had $100 on my Nintendo DS Lite and some guy offered me $50... I was going for $80 and we ended at $70. Ok ok, it was my first time and yes he got closer to his mark than mine, wait for it. Immediately after he picked up my DS AND all my games (worth over $250) and was about to walk off with them. (He was Asian and well, liked to plead ignorance) Well, I stuck up for myself. I told him what was what and offered to hand his money back if he wasn't happy with the deal on just the DS. He put the games down and took the DS, as planned. I laughed it off with a "worth a shot" and a smile. Later he came back and I sold him a ring (without budging on the price) and two Olga Berg bags that I got offline for the same price :D So yeah, I'm playing with the big boys now.
Fourth; If here is a party on the night before and it's your last week in town - go. Don't spend the night cooped up in the house doing last minute organising. Next time plan ahead.
Fifth; it's true. The early bird gets the worm. And some people don't give a crap what time you put on your signs. Not exactly fair on those that waited until 10am.

^This is just the stuff we had left at the end of the day!!!
Have any experiences you with garage sales? As the buyer or the seller?
10 comments:
Oh wow it looked like a gorgeous garage sale, I wish I could have popped in! I havent been to many garage sales or hosted one but it is something I might do in the future, I think sometimes it is hard to get the right demographic to come.
Send those pretty dresses my way ;) I'd LOVE to wear em!
I've only experienced a garage sale once that my soccer team put together. A multi-family huge ass garage sale. We made over 3,000 dollars. Plus, we sold a family car and made bank on that. It was eventful, but there were easily 50 workers hahaha :)
Your cupcakes look yummy- I would have loved to eat them!
Ps love the blog changes you have made, it looks fantastic.
I have never seen a garage sale that looks that nice. For serious. I would've gotten some of your pretty dresses :)
Hey ebs darling! Thanks SO much for your super sweet email - I'll reply very soon! (just got a chance to go online today been SO busy!) I have quite a bit to tell you! :D
I've actually never done a garage sale besides going to some as a wee child till even now! I have SO many things I need to get rid off too so I was thinking of going to the flea markets & hiring out a bay to sell a few things soon!
Eek, almost time to move move move! How exciting!
Love your mac & cupcakes xx
this is so exciting :)
move time is so so soon!
xox
garage sales are always fun but yeah you have to start them pretty early. People dont really adhere to the actual schedule on the signs. I love to go to garage sales mostly for cheap furniture.
I love a good car boot sale. Haven't sold at one yet (I'm a massive hoarder and hate getting rid of my stuff) but I buy at plenty - hopefully I'm better behaved than your buyers were!
Good job Ebs!!! I am proud of you! I have never held a garage sale. Now I wish it was Summer so i could! I hope to be moving too soon, :) I got your letter, dress and the skirt! Lauren is just going to style up your dress two more ways at home, then give it to me to send to you! sorry I have been slacking! I have been slacking at everything! School is just overwhelming me this semester. Miss you girl!
xoxox
oh you go girl!! haha. you tell em whos boss! how exciting. I want to have a garage sale one day! hehe it looks fun!
p.s Your layout is looking amazing. like. ah. may. zing.
Post a Comment
Everybody likes to be heard. I'm so happy you're taking the time to comment :) Make sure you leave a way for me to contact you back via email or blog! xox